Wednesday, March 17, 2010

NoFrills: sale on meat = cheap and good dinner!


NoFrills has the Whole Eye of Round Roast on sale until March 25 for $1.97/lb which works out to $4.34/kg, and I thought it was a pretty good deal, so I bought one pack. Considering that one pack is about the length of my arm, that is a lot of meat! I decided to cut the roast down to 4 roasts: 3 of them at regular size and one smaller one for when I decide to make a meal where the meat is an accessory, not the main part.

I like that the meat is Canadian beef, and even though NoFrills might give off the assumption that it is a discount store, I've found their products, meats, diary and produce to be just as good as at any regular grocery store. My favorite place to purchase fabulous meat still remains Thrifty Foods, however.

After cutting up the meat, I packed up the roasts in freezer paper and then into large freezer bags, labelled them and put them into my freezer with the other 2 roasts I still have, from the last NoFrills meat sale. Tomorrow I'll also be restocking my freezer bags by purchasing them from London Drugs, who has the Ziploc freezer bags on sale for $1.99 this week. With my $2 coupons I will be able to get them for free (as I'll be buying them from a LD that allows overage).

So I've got tonight's dinner in the oven and the house is smelling delicious. I love roasts, not only because they taste so good, but because they are so easy. I pretty much follow her recipe, and I throw my carrots and potatoes in with the meat, because that just makes things so much easier. I've successfully used various cuts of meat, and they always turn out fabulous. This particular cut also works well for crockpot meals as it turns out so tender after the slow cooking is done.

I figure tonight's dinner just cost me about $5-$6 as I bought the potatoes last week at 20lbs for $2.99 and the carrots were on 5lbs for $2. Yay for cheap, good, easy and delicous meals!

For NoFrills locations, read this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment