Sunday, March 21, 2010

I love it when women take control of their lives.

One of the reasons I am so passionate about sharing the Extreme Shopping method is the fact that we can start taking more control over how much we spend (and save). As a woman, and as the traditional "spender" of our household grocery budget, I feel empowered as I whittle down our monetary requirement month after month. The less I need in the household budget, the more we can use elsewhere or the more we can save.

That is why I am in awe of this woman. She manages to save thousands on furniture - that she builds herself! I don't know about you, but I'm always bemoaning the fact that we can't get the furniture we want because of the cost... but this blog shows you how to build furniture for way less than what you would spend at the store. She provides plans for FREE, which is incredibly generous as well.

I love this quote from her: "When you buy something, it comes with a price. When you build something, it comes with a story."

I am not a tools type of girl at all, and I know nothing about carpentry, but she makes me feel like I could do it. Remember what I said about feeling empowered? Yeah. It is so cool when women can encourage other women and empower them to try something new!

I'll share a little MrsSmith-ExtremeShopper secret: I live with a husband who is super traditional when it comes to furniture choices. Do you see the oak table in my photos? My hubby's choice. As is all the other sandy blonde furniture in the house. I had to get on my knees and thank God when the hubby agreed on the couches I wanted, which were modern and featured dark woods. Now I am starting my nefarious scheme to replace all the furniture I don't like/want in the house.. bwahaha! I will start with this - we need an entry table and I think I could build this... I think. And I will stain it in dark colours. And he will love it. Or else.:)

And I would looooooove this bed. The look, the finish, everything about it just melts my heart. To die for. If anyone was asking, I would also take it in black, please and thank you very much.

Go check Ana and her blog out. And be prepared to want to hop over to your local DIY store and pick up some lumber. You've been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment