Wednesday, June 9, 2010

No tax in WA if you live in BC or ONT!!

I am preparing to launch the MrsSmith-ExtremeShopper USA edition very soon and this is the class for you if you live in Canada but are close enough to the US border to warrant shopping across the border, or if you are living in the USA. The majority of the class will be based towards stores found in Western WA but I will also be referencing other stores found in other parts of the USA.

I have great news for you whether or not you are a frequent shopper across the border. As of July 1, those of us living in BC and Ontario will get tax-exempt status while shopping across the border! And to think we have the HST to thank for this break. You will probably have to show your driver's license as proof of residency.

Now, I'm not advocating shopping in the USA vs Canada. I believe that is up to each person to decide how and where to spend their dollars. How the BC and Ontario governments react to this might differ, from doing nothing (no changes) to perhaps upping the tax on whatever you bring back, or lowering the minimums on exempt goods... we shall see. I will still shop for the majority of my items in Canada since I am not that close to the border, and will probably continue my once-a-month shop across the border.

Here's the article that talks about the new tax break.


  1. Can you please let me know when you do your first USA class? Thanks!

  2. I want to come to your first US class too!