Monday, June 21, 2010

Make It Monday - Swagbucks and why I use it (plus a few winning tips)

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like without the Internet. And Google. It seems I use Google umpteen times a day. Well, I did, until I found Swagbucks.

If you're an avid Googler like I am, or even if you use it sporadically each day, I would recommend Swagbucks to you as an alternative search engine. Swagbucks is powered by Google, and is an incentivized search engine where you are awarded points randomly when you are using it for your searches.

When has Google ever said,"here, have a $5 Amazon gift card," or,"would you like a $10 Starbucks card?"

Swagbucks does.

When you use the Swagbucks search engine, you are awarded random points which are then stored in your account and you can accumulate points and redeem them for prizes at the "Swag Store," my favourite prizes being the aforementioned Amazon and Starbucks giftcards.

I thought it would be interesting to write up a pros and cons list of Swagbucks from a personal point of view:
PROS
- you get "paid" with digital dollars to search the web, something I do everyday anyway
- you get to choose when you spend your dollars, and what you want to buy
- it is free to join
- it automatically records your points (once you sign in/log in) and keeps tracks of your purchases
- Every Friday is Mega Bucks Day which increases the chances of getting larger swagbucks when you search
- it is FREE MONEY
- there are many ways to get points other than searching the web
- it is fun

CONS
- you do not get points for every search
- sometimes you are awarded low points


I use my Swagbucks as "mad money," which is fun because I don't really have to think hard about whether I want to spend the money or not. I buy Starbucks cards for MrSmith so he can enjoy his Starbucks FREE, I buy giftcards and use them as gifts, and most recently we bought MrSmith the Super Mario Galaxy 2 game for $50, all using Swagbucks. I am saving up for Christmas and birthday gifts, which means more of my "real" money is staying in my pocket while my digital dollars are being used to purchase the items.

Here are a few tips on how to get more Swagbucks points:

1) Search normally - use the search engine for your daily, regular searches. There are precautions in place against the people who try to "game" the system.

2) Download the toolbar - I have found since I downloaded the toolbar, I automatically receive points everytime I open up Swagbucks each day.

3) Look through their No Obligation Special Offers. I have never purchased anything with a credit card via Swagbucks so I cannot recommend that. I also have not signed up for Special Offers, but I DO look through their No-Obligation special offers. I just click "no" or "skip" on every offer and at the end I am awarded a point or two. This is guaranteed points, once a day.

4) Tell others about Swagbucks and have them sign under you. Once they do, and once they start searching and accumulating points, you will receive up to 1000 points per referral. If you'd like to sign up under me (please do!) then click here. Thank you! Right now when you sign up you will get an automatic, free, 30 points!

5) Trade in your old cellphone. This is a Green way to get some "green." You can get points for trading your old cellphone.

6) Trade in your old gaming systems and games for swagpoints!

7) Participate in daily polls and Trusted Surveys.

8) Read the SB Facebook page for ideas on what searches are being rewarded with points. I have tried it and sometimes I will search the same phrase and have won points.

9) Download the Swidget as it lets you know when there are codes available. When you find the code, input the code on your swagbucks page and get the points! You can read the FB page too as people will post threads thanking TSG (The Swag Guy) for the code - that usually is a good indicator that there is a valid and active code available.

10) Read the Swagbucks Winning Tips post here for more ideas.

11) Read the Swagbucks blog or Twitter for more chances to win.

12) When you get your Swagbucks prize, take a photo of it post on the Swagbucks Flickr wall for more points!

If you're worried about Spam and your information being sold, Swagbucks promises not to spam nor sell your information, you can read their privacy policy here.

So what are you waiting for? Join Swagbucks, start searching and start saving for prizes and save your money!

2 comments:

  1. This is nuts!!! I just joined Swagbucks yesterday and have already earned 69 bucks. It's no different than any other search engine. It's pretty sweet so far. Can't wait til I get enough to actually spend on something fun for the family!!! Thanks, Mrs. Smith!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found when I was on Swagbucks that you had to live in the states to get basically anything. It was more of a waste of time for me. I couldn't order anything to get up in Canada.

    ReplyDelete